So I’m trying to finish a Lyn costume from Blade and Soul for a contest, but they gave up such a short time frame. ONE WEEK! I didn’t have any intentions on cosplaying anything from the MMO until it was released in the USA, but the prizes are nice. xD I’m pretty much putting together an outfit made from cloth, tape, staples, and glue. I gotta say, it works! Might not be very permanent, but hey, I’m not wearing it anywhere. lol
This is a WIP of it, I have some shorts drying from the glue I used. I hope it stays together just long enough for me to take some pics.
I also have to style wigs and play with makeup. lol So much to do. @>@ This was all made in one day…overnight, I was late to class this morning…OTL
I have pretty much finished Flandre’s outfit, but I won’t debut it until this weekend. Anime convention is this weekend and I still can’t believe time has gone by so fast! Seems like just a month ago I was still trying to figure out how to put together my cosplays.
I feel like I’ve learned a lot more than I’ve ever learned this time around. I didn’t have any help from anyone so I had to figure out everything on my own. I drafted my own pattern, modified existing patterns, and learned a LOT about ruffles and gathering.
Now I’m actually working on my second cosplay for the con; I’m going as Inori Yuzuriha from Guilty Crown. I’m going in her casual black dress version. The dress is actually pretty simple make so it’s only been 3 days and I’m almost done. I think one more day and I’ll be done, not including her bag she carries and the little pouches on the side of her dress. I’ll slowly post up the WIPs if I’m not too busy finishing up.
I had to deal with more gathers for her dress as well but I was trying to do things quicker so I tried cutting 5 layers of Kona Cotton all at once. It wasn’t impossible, but I had to use some force to cut through it. In the process, I pinched my finger between the scissors handle and caused some bleeding under my skin. DX That was one complication.
The other one was me going at top speed on my sewing machine overcasting over 80 inches strips of fabric on all four sides. You can imagine how many times the sewing machine jammed up. lol
This is my mock up for Inori’s dress. She actually has the white version of this dress as well. It’s much simpler than the black one. Maybe I’ll make it as well. haha
Sleeves~ POOFY sleeves, are fun. XD I gathered the sleeves on the bottom and it actually turned out too tight, so I had to undo the stitches and redo then.
This was before I had figured out where I wanted to place the ribbon.
Sewed on the ribbon. It was a bit hard since I was sewing such a small bias tape onto an uneven surface; in this case, all those gathers. I actually bought some red bias tape for this part, but it turned out to be a shade lighter, so I ended up having to make mine own 1/4 inch bias tape.
Finished up the sleeves and started working on the bottom of the blouse. More frills. lol Two rows of them. But before that, I took a snack break. Ate some anchovies with sesame seed with a bit of spiciness. It was yummy~
Serging yards and yards of cloth strips for ruffles. Takes so much thread.
I’ve been dealing with the collar the whole day and it’s been aggravating me since I couldn’t get it right. I finally got it right. I’ll sew it together tomorrow, for now I just pinned it.
IT’S SO FRILLY. o.o A lot more than I intended it to be, but all good.
MORE gathering ruffles.
The two tiers of ruffles~
And the collar~ I still thinking it’s a bit overkill. lol
And now I need to do Japanese and Astronomy homework. OTL
It’s been a while since I’ve updated my sewing progress on my Flandre cosplay. Well as you know, I’m working on the blouse right now. I decided to make a more complicated version of the blouse so I could wear it on other occasions rather than just for that cosplay. I’ve done the shirring on the back piece so I started working on the two front pieces. I bought some lace and ribbon for this to put on the front, and I have to say I like how it looks.
I only laid the pieces out on the fabric to get a general idea of what it’ll look like in the picture above. But I went ahead and sewed it all up.
Went ahead and sewn on the piece for where the buttons and button holes will go.
AND Ta-da~ The body of the outfit is done. Now I have to make the collar, sleeves, and I’ll be putting two tiers of ruffles on the bottom of the blouse.
I started working on my blouse for Flandre, and I decided rather than making a plain blouse, I should spice it up a bit. I will make a lolita blouse with lace and ruffles! The blouse will sadly be covered by the red vest on the outside anyways, so I’m adding a lot of extra details needed to the blouse.
Started drafting it and what not.
There’s so many pieces for this blouse versus a normal blouse would have a back piece, two front pieces, sleeves, collar, and 1-2 other pieces. This one takes like 5 pieces to make up the back piece. I’m actually following a pattern from my Gosu Rori Sewing magazine and since it’s all in Japanese, I wasn’t sure whether to put seam allowance or not and ended up messing up. I actually cut all the pieces out already and sewed the back together to realize the pieces don’t match. I tried to add extra length to the pieces here and there, but it just didn’t work, so I had to redraft everything, add seam allowance and etc. Lucky enough I bought almost enough cloth to cover up for my mistake, but I still had to buy a little extra since I ran out.
This was the part of the back; it called for shirring which is also a new technique I haven’t tried before. I feel like I’ve been working with a lot of elastic lately. o.o
I thought making the blouse was really fun getting to add so much detail into it. I thought the ribbon was a nice finishing touch; now I can’t wait to see the result!