I am currently enrolled in a Costume Design Course for making corsets!!! I already finished making one corset for a theater production~ A lot more work than I expected, especially with grommets. XD
But now we get to choose our own corset we want to make for ourselves; I am so excited! *.*
So I’m trying to finish a Lyn costume from Blade and Soul for a contest, but they gave up such a short time frame. ONE WEEK! I didn’t have any intentions on cosplaying anything from the MMO until it was released in the USA, but the prizes are nice. xD I’m pretty much putting together an outfit made from cloth, tape, staples, and glue. I gotta say, it works! Might not be very permanent, but hey, I’m not wearing it anywhere. lol
This is a WIP of it, I have some shorts drying from the glue I used. I hope it stays together just long enough for me to take some pics.
I also have to style wigs and play with makeup. lol So much to do. @>@ This was all made in one day…overnight, I was late to class this morning…OTL
Yeaa went to the convention this weekend. It was soo fun! Hung out with my friends and met some facebook friends as well.
LOVED my Flandre outfit; didn’t win the costume contest, but it’s all good ;D
Teaser of my Flandre cosplay~
I have pretty much finished Flandre’s outfit, but I won’t debut it until this weekend. Anime convention is this weekend and I still can’t believe time has gone by so fast! Seems like just a month ago I was still trying to figure out how to put together my cosplays.
I feel like I’ve learned a lot more than I’ve ever learned this time around. I didn’t have any help from anyone so I had to figure out everything on my own. I drafted my own pattern, modified existing patterns, and learned a LOT about ruffles and gathering.
Now I’m actually working on my second cosplay for the con; I’m going as Inori Yuzuriha from Guilty Crown. I’m going in her casual black dress version. The dress is actually pretty simple make so it’s only been 3 days and I’m almost done. I think one more day and I’ll be done, not including her bag she carries and the little pouches on the side of her dress. I’ll slowly post up the WIPs if I’m not too busy finishing up.
I had to deal with more gathers for her dress as well but I was trying to do things quicker so I tried cutting 5 layers of Kona Cotton all at once. It wasn’t impossible, but I had to use some force to cut through it. In the process, I pinched my finger between the scissors handle and caused some bleeding under my skin. DX That was one complication.
The other one was me going at top speed on my sewing machine overcasting over 80 inches strips of fabric on all four sides. You can imagine how many times the sewing machine jammed up. lol
This is my mock up for Inori’s dress. She actually has the white version of this dress as well. It’s much simpler than the black one. Maybe I’ll make it as well. haha
Sleeves~ POOFY sleeves, are fun. XD I gathered the sleeves on the bottom and it actually turned out too tight, so I had to undo the stitches and redo then.
This was before I had figured out where I wanted to place the ribbon.
Sewed on the ribbon. It was a bit hard since I was sewing such a small bias tape onto an uneven surface; in this case, all those gathers. I actually bought some red bias tape for this part, but it turned out to be a shade lighter, so I ended up having to make mine own 1/4 inch bias tape.
Finished up the sleeves and started working on the bottom of the blouse. More frills. lol Two rows of them. But before that, I took a snack break. Ate some anchovies with sesame seed with a bit of spiciness. It was yummy~
Serging yards and yards of cloth strips for ruffles. Takes so much thread.
I ate too much cake today, now I feel sick. I usually don’t eat sweets, but I’ve been having cravings for it for some reason. That and junk food. I want to eat pizza! o.o Someone help me DX
Besides that, I placed my ruffles around my dress to pin. I was having a hard time pinning them down, so I ended up just spreading it on the floor.
Pinning the skirt took longer than expected as well, but I was a bit distracted by Netflix. I don’t remember what I was watching though. I sewed the ruffles on afterwards, but to my dismay, they turned out different lengths. I decided to just let it go and continue. I hemmed up the red part of the skirt, then I sewed the waistband together and inserted elastic inside it. I wish I learned from my previous mistake, but I made the elastic band too loose again. Well, not loose, but it wasn’t as tight as I would have liked it.
This is the finished product~ ;D I wore it with bloomers underneath it.
This is with an ultra poofy petticoat. The lighting in the kitchen was better.
Right now, I can’t decide whether I like it with or without the petticoat. I feel like it’s too poofy, but without it, it’s too flat. I wish I had something in between.
Next I have to make the blouse!
Today I will line my skirt. I’ve never actually lined any of my skirts before, but Flandre’s skirt calls for it. She has ruffles on the bottom of the lining for the skirt inside. My last outfit I made for her, I cheated and attached the ruffles to the hem on the inside of the skirt so it looked like there was lining inside, but there really wasn’t. I decided I’m going to go all out on this cosplay this time around, so I’ll actually attach lining.
This is the skirt without lining.
The white part actually turned out larger than the red cloth on the outside, so I had to gather it a bit
To be honest, I was really anxious to seeing how this would turn out since I had no prior experience in doing this. I kind of visualized how I thought it would turned out, and it turned out nicely!
Annnnddd, this is the skirt! Not done yet, but it looks pretty. You can’t see the lining, but there will be ruffles on the bottom of it soon enough.